|Ms. Federica SCHIAVI
Function: Post doctoral research fellow
Participation in ClerVolc program N°: 3
Main Research Unit: LMV
I am a post-doctoral research fellow at the Laboratoire Magmas et Volcans, University Blaise Pascal in Clermont-Ferrand. My research interests are in the fields of experimental petrology, geochemistry and volcanology. My PhD in Earth Sciences at the University of Pavia (Italy) focused on the geochemical and isotopic characterization of phenocryst-hosted melt inclusions and volcanic ashes erupted from Mt. Etna and Stromboli volcanoes, with the aim of tracking magma dynamics within the plumbing systems and unravelling the magmatic processes occurring in the source region (e.g. metasomatism affecting the mantle source beneath Stromboli) and at crustal levels (magma differentiation driven by degassing and crystallization). During my PhD I spent several months at the Institute for Study of the Earth’s Interior (Misasa, Japan) in order to perform analysis of Li, B and Pb isotopes by in situ microanalytical techniques. Afterward I spent three years as Post Doc fellow at the Bayerisches Geoinstitut (University of Bayreuth, Germany), where I developed a new high-temperature experimental technique, the moissanite cell, which allows real-time in situ optical observation of magmatic processes at the grain scale for study of crystallization kinetics and rock texture evolution.
Research interests: Kinetics of crystal nucleation, growth and dissolution; Physico-chemical development of magmatic inclusions in crystals; Textural, geochemical and isotopic investigation of volcanic products for petrological monitoring of active volcanoes; Magma genesis and mantle source metasomatism in subduction zones.
- Schiavi F, K Kobayashi, E Nakamura, M Tiepolo, R Vannucci (2012), Trace element and Pb-B-Li isotope systematics of olivine-hosted melt inclusions: Insights into source metasomatism beneath Stromboli (southern Italy), Contrib Mineral Petrol 163(6): 1011-1031
- Schiavi F, N Walte, A Konschak, H Keppler (2010), A moissanite cell apparatus for optical in situ observation of crystallizing melts at high temperature, Am Mineral 95(7): 1069-1079
- Schiavi F, K Kobayashi, T Moriguti, E Nakamura, M Pompilio, M Tiepolo, R Vannucci (2010), Degassing, crystallization and eruption dynamics at Stromboli: trace element and lithium isotopic evidence from 2003 ashes, Contrib Mineral Petrol 159(4): 541-561
- Schiavi F, N Walte, H Keppler (2009), First in situ observation of crystallization processes in a basaltic-andesitic melt with the moissanite cell, Geology 37(11): 963-966
- Schiavi F, M Tiepolo, M Pompilio, R Vannucci (2006), Tracking magma dynamics by laser ablation (LA)-ICPMS trace element analysis of glass in volcanic ash: The 1995 activity of Mt. Etna, Geophys Res Lett 33(5), Doi: 10.1029/2005GL024789