Some major research projects addressed by ClerVolc
Since its creation in 2011, ClerVolc has financed over fifty scientific projects. The following include some major, long-term projects involving the finance of research and technical personnel (PhD students and postdoctoral researchers, engineers).
Major inter-laboratory collaborations
- The quantification of volcanic plumes using remote sensing techniques. T. Barnie (Postdoc), G. Sawyer (Postdoc), M. Brombrun (PhD), S. Valade (Postdoc). Collaboration LMBP – LMV – OPGC.
- The use of InSAR data to quantify the 3D geometries of volcanic inflation sources. S. Court (Postdoc), M-G. Bato (engineer), F. Dabaghi (Postdoc). Collaboration LMBP – LMV – OPGC.
- The mathematical modelling of pyroclastic flows. J. Mathe (PhD), C. Douanla-Lontsi (Postdoc), A. Weit (PhD), T. Phan (Postdoc). Collaboration LMBP – LMV.
- Imaging volcanoes using cosmogenic muons. A. Portal (PhD), P. Schweitzer (PhD), L. Gailler (Postdoc), E. Le Menedeu (Postdoc), A. Barnaud (Postdoc). Collaboration LPC – LIMOS – LMV – OPGC.
- Intelligent systems for the wireless transmission of large amounts of data on volcanoes. L. Le Guennec (PhD). Collaboration LIMOS – LMV.
- The compositions, properties and origins of gases and aerosols in volcanic plumes. M. Sahyoun (Postdoc). Collaboration LaMP – LMV.
- The public perception of volcanic risk. G. Merlhiot (PhD). Collaboration LAPSCO – LMV.
- The physical vulnerability of buildings to different types of volcanic flows. S. Ettinger (Postdoc). Collaboration BRGM – LMV – LMBP.
Projects based mainly at the LMV – OPGC
- Drone-based multi-parameter measurement platforms for volcano research and monitoring. L. Gailler (Postdoc).
- The deformation of Earth’s surface generated by magmatic intrusions. N. Le Corvec (Postdoc).
- The behaviour of rare gases in magmas. A. Fabbrizio (Postdoc).
- The role of CO2 in the production of magmas in the deep mantle. A. Baasner (Postdoc).
- The solubility of H2O in mantle minerals and the distribution of H2O in the mantle. D. Novella (Postdoc), L. Martinek (PhD).
- The measurement of volatile content of glasses and minerals by micro-Raman spectroscopy. F. Schiavi (Postdoc).
- The processes leading to large-volume eruptions at basaltic and silicic volcanoes. M. Carpentier (Postdoc), M. Mercier (Postdoc), T. Flaherty (PhD).
- The use of novel isotopic systems (Re-Os, La-Ce) in understanding magma genesis in the Earth. M. Gannoun (Postdoc), N. Bellot (PhD).
- Magma crystallization under disequilibrium conditions. M. Laumonier (Postdoc).
- Reproducing the conditions of melt production in the very deep mantle using the multi-anvil press. J. Chantel (Postdoc).
- The behaviour of volatile metals during formation of the Earth. N Ingrao (PhD).
- The processes of magma fragmentation and pyroclast formation during volcanic eruptions. S. Leibrandt (Postdoc).
- Chemistry, thermodynamics and rheology of lava flow emplacement. O. Chevrel (Auvergne Fellowship Postdoc).
- The production and modelling of volcano-generated tsunamis. M. Ulvrova (Postdoc).
- Eruption risk management strategies in developing countries. J. Morin (Postdoc).